Protecting your pets

We all love our pets and take great efforts to protect their health and well being. So it's really important to consider how we manage our pets when we have a mouse or rat problem. Here are some ideas for looking after your pets while you get rid of the rats.

Pet food can attract mice and rats

It's very important that pet food is not left out. It is far better to feed your pet in smaller amounts and then take the food away after 30 minutes than leave food out all day where rodents can get to them. Bird seed can also be a source of food for rats. If you have chickens, rabbits or guinea pigs make sure their enclosures are rodent proof.

Catching rats and mice

Never ever let your cat eat a mouse or rat that they have caught. Praise them and take it away.

Cats are known for their skill in catching mice and rats. However eating their catch can cause a number of health risks to your cat. Mice and rats can carry diseases which can make your cat very sick if they eat their kill. Also, if the rodent had been poisoned this can also make your cat very sick.

If your cat brings you a mouse or rat, it is important that you take the catch from them. Praise them - but don't ever let them eat a mouse or rat.

Be careful with your baiting

If you have a rat or mouse problem then using a baiting strategy can be the most effective method to take control. But if you have pets you need to be careful about where you place them. Make sure they are not in an area that your pet can access.

What are the Signs of accidental poisoning?

If your pet is showing any signs of poisoning see your vet immediately.

Depending on the poison, the symptoms may show up immediately or they may take a few days.

Here are the typical signs of poisoning in animals:

  • Seizures or muscle tremors
  • Vomiting and or diarrhea
  • Bleeding
  • Excessive salivation - drooling or foaming
  • Rapid or labored breathing
  • Behavioural changes - abnormally over-excited or strangely unresponsive
  • Excessive licking or pawing of mouth
  • Swelling
  • Red skin, ears, or eyes
  • Changes to body temperature

What to do if your suspect your pet is poisoned

If you suspect that your pet has been poisoned it is important to get your pet to the vet quickly. Make sure you write down the name of the poison you believe was eaten by your pet or take the pack with you.